100% of Mowi Campbell River Farms Now Certified to ASC Salmon Standard
Campbell River, B.C. – Mowi Canada West has made another step towards its goal of achieving Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) certification at all its salmon farms in British Columbia. Mowi’s Lees Bay farm has become the 24th Mowi salmon farm in B.C. to achieve certification to the ASC Salmon Standard, the 7th in the Campbell River production area. All Mowi salmon farms in the Campbell River area are now certified to the independent third-party certification.
To achieve certification under the ASC Salmon Standard, farms are audited against 500 separate aspects of the site’s performance. It is considered to be the gold standard in environmental and social certification and was developed through a dialogue process involving Environmental NGOs and researchers.
“I am proud of the work of our staff, their commitment to the health and quality of the fish they are raising, and their commitment to the local community,” said Mowi Canada West Managing Director Dr. Diane Morrison. “Our team in B.C. continues to innovate and improve practices. Achieving 100% certification in the Campbell River production area is validation that our farms are being operated to the world’s highest standards.”
Mowi Canda West ASC Certification Quick Facts:
- In 2015, Mowi Canada West (then known as Marine Harvest Canada) became the first in North America to certify a salmon farm (Marsh Bay) to the ASC standard.
- Earlier in 2019, Mowi Canada West achieved a global first when it successfully carried out a multi-site certification, carrying out the audit process across three sites simultaneously.
- Mowi Canada West has certified more farms to the ASC salmon standard than any company in North America.
- The certification of Lees Bay is the 24th Mowi farm to be certified in B.C.
- 80% of Mowi Canada West production is now ASC certified.
In 2012 Mowi set itself the goal of achieving Aquaculture Stewardship Council Certification at all its farms; this latest achievement is a significant milestone towards this goal. The Monday Rock farm in the Quatsino production area was one of the first farms in North America to achieve certification. The farm recently retained its certification for the fourth year in a row, demonstrating the commitment made to ensure farms meet the requirements of the ASC process.