Celebrating a decade of Lochailort
Lochailort employees celebrate the anniversary, photo by Iain Ferguson, alba.photos
Mowi recently celebrated the 10-year anniversary of the opening of its Lochailort recirculation hatchery with a free guest lunch from its Salmon Wagon.
Attending the event, held in glorious sunshine on Friday June 9th, were Mowi colleagues, residents, local business representatives, community council representatives, councillors, MSPs and MPs.
Allan MacMaster, Lochailort Recirculation Manager; Jayne MacKay, Mowi Scotland Community Engagement Officer; Kate Forbes MSP
12 Lochaber High School students also attended along with Nick Sedgwick from the Newton Room, which is currently studying salmon as a classroom topic.
Guests, who also toured the hatchery, were encouraged to make a charitable donation which was topped up by Mowi. From this, £750 was raised for Lochaber mental health charity Ewen’s Room. We were delighted that both Malcolm and Rosemary Gillespie, the founders of Ewen’s Room, were able to attend and receive the donation in person.
Malcolm and Rosemary Gillespie receive a £750 donation from Mowi for Ewen’s Room mental health charity set up in memory of their late son
Dan Phillips, Freshwater Manager at Mowi Scotland, said: “It was great to see such a good turnout to celebrate what was a milestone for the site and for Mowi in Scotland.
“Lochailort is an industry-leading recirculation aquaculture centre that was an incredibly ambitious project when launched 10 years ago.
“We couldn’t have achieved 10 years of successful operations without the hard work and dedication of the site team past and present and the amazing support from the community, friends and families involved indirectly.”
The Salmon Wagon will be at the following events in July:
- Saturday 1st July: Coigach Gathering, Achiltibuie, supporting and fundraising for Coigach Community Trust.
- Friday 21st July: West Ardnamurchan Show and Sports, supporting West Ardnamurchan Show and Sports.
- Tuesday 25th July: South Harris Agricultural Show, supporting South Harris Agricultural Association.
- Thursday 27th July: North Uist Show, supporting North Uist Agricultural Association.
- Friday 28th July: Benbecula Eilean Dorcha Festival, supporting the local community.